by the office of John and Donald Parkinson in 1923, the 275 room
Rosslyn Hotel Annex was constructed to increase the capacity of
the destination Rosslyn Hotel across 5th Street at Main Street.
Connected by a subterranean pedestrian tunnel the combined facility
was one of the most luxurious hotels in the Los Angeles. Over the
years as commerce moved west the hotel descended into an occupancy
of 28 day rotation housing. The building was purchased by SRO Housing
Corp in 2012 who commissioned M2A to restore the façade,
primary public spaces and to bring the rooms and facilities up to
contemporary standards within the historic context. Full bathrooms
are added to 66 units, a kitchenette to all units and upgrades are
being made for code compliant disabled access. First floor terra
cotta storefronts will be restored and recreated where missing.
Seismic upgrades will insure the life safety of the returning resident
population, now capable of long term residency. The Lobby and Second
Floor public spaces are to be restored and a skylight to the lobby,
sealed since WWII will be reopened to flood the space with natural
light. The rooftop neon ROSSLYN sign, an icon in the downtown skyline,
will remain and be lit for special occasions with its sister sign
across the street.