Warner Grand Theater
San Pedro, California
Completed in 1931, the Warner Bros. San Pedro Theater anchored the city's thriving commercial district. Its prominent tower and marquees provide a focal point for the downtown historic area. After changing hands through several owners and sitting vacant for a period of years, the City of Los Angeles acquired the structure for use by the Department of Cultural Affairs as a presentation venue for the southern portion of the city. Initial restoration work included the marquee and blade sign, the incorporation of disabled access for the public and performers, rehabilitation of the lobby and incorporation of concession stand appropriate to its Art Deco style. The project scope also included the preparation of a Masterplan for the stabilization, restoration and replication of historic elements of the structure.