reuse of The Franklin T. Briles two-story residence and caretaker
structure for new early education Montessori program for 40 students
with a working garden, art room, kitchen skills, and other living
skills. Built in 1921, the building is a true showpiece. The stucco
structure is an architectural example of Mediterranean Revival
with Prairie style influence.
The new use was intended to create a Montessori program in a home-like
environment for 35-50 children. The final outcome resulted in
a program for 48 children, with the main classroom located in
the ground floor of the residence, a second classroom located
in what was the chauffer’s quarters, and accessory office
spaces located on the second floor. In order to gain some extra
classroom space, a covered side porch on the North side was sensitively
enclosed with fixed windows to match the original design. A new
access ramp and accessible door were added to the south side of
the building to satisfy the Disabled Access code requirements.
Two new children’s restrooms were added as required, and
an existing restroom was modified to meet ADA. Kitchen counters
and cabinets were replaced to accommodate for the children. In
addition, the project has over 3,800 square feet of play area
and over 3,000 square feet of landscape.