Sunshine Mission
Los Angeles, California

Built in 1896 as the Froebel Institute, a innovative school for teaching children, the four-building complex housed subsequent uses as the Girls College School, a hotel, and Army educational housing. Since 1957, the site has served as a shelter for homeless women. Additional spaces house offices, dining and multi-purpose rooms for use of the residents and a series of landscaped courtyards and walkways connect the buildings. M2A's work focused on the restoration and rehabilitation of the complex, including 55 single units and 16 shelter beds. Initial work phases, completed to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards, were funded by the CRA and State of California. Subsequent to the Northridge Earthquake, CDD and FEMA funded repairs are in progress to stabilize the structure without compromising the Spanish Mission Revival style of the complex. Sunshine Mission is City of Los Angeles Cultural Monument No. 241.